OH : Columbus (Hilliard Darby High School)
4.7 Stars – Based on 13 User Reviews
Day Camp with Half Day option
One of the most popular tennis camps in Central Ohio, the Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp at our Columbus, OH location offers 2 weeks of incredible fun and tennis training at the Hilliard Darby High School. Coming off of back-to-back-to-back sold out summers under the guidance of long time college coach Marc Wurtzman, this tennis camp is a summer event not to miss. Previously known as The Capital University, this camp offers something for everyone with full and half day options.
Each camper receives personal attention, advanced teaching techniques, intensive drill work, and game/match play, all in a fun and competitive environment. We break the campers into small instructional groups of similar age and ability, so each child is working in a group that is commensurate with their experience level. We tailor each program to the level of the players. Beginners get a heavy dose of swing technique and fundamentals, while more advanced players focus on strategy, point building, percentage tennis, etc.
The Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camps are the premier camps for young players who strive to learn the game, improve their skills and participate in middle school, high school, USTA team tennis, or tournaments.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE:
- Comprehensive instructional program with daily teaching progressions
- Small instructional groups to ensure individual attention
- Safety prioritized on and off court
- Camp demo program with all the latest Wilson rackets
- Great Wilson Raffle and prizes for all campers
- Session I: June 13-17, 2022
- Session II: July 18-22, 2022
- Full Day: $495 full day
- Half Day: $355 half day
- Full Day Option: Monday – Friday 9am – 4:00pm
- Half Day Option: Monday – Friday 9am – Noon
- Boys and Girls ages 7-18 of all skill levels.
- Camps are open to any and all
Camp Types: Traditional Tennis Camp
Our traditional tennis camps are designed to focus on the fundamentals and swing techniques of modern tennis strokes. We tailor the instruction to the skill level and experience of each level of player. Some of the areas of focus for each level include:
- Beginners: The beginning-level player will be introduced to the basics of the game. Emphasis will be placed on stroke production and the technical aspects of the swing to teach these young players sound fundamentals from the ground up.
- Intermediate: Intermediate-level players will also focus on stroke production (to ensure proper technique) and be introduced to gameplay situations to introduce these players to the competitive side of the game.
- High School / Tournament: High school (both varsity and JV) and tournament players will focus on the strategic and competitive aspects of the game. Although swing fundamentals are featured, emphasis will also feature point building, court positioning, patterns of play, and live ball drill work.
Note: A skills evaluation is done on the first day of camp, and we will assign students to small instructional groups with kids of similar age, ability, and experience levels. Players will continue to be evaluated throughout the week, and coaches will move kids into situations to push them and help ensure they are in a comfortable learning environment.
Lunch should be packed daily by all full day campers
Q: Are there Skill Requirements for this camp?
Per NCAA rules, our sports camps are open to all entrants. Enrollment is limited only by age, grade level, gender, and capacity restrictions specified by each camp.
Q: What type of campers attend this camp?
Our camps are open to all levels of tennis players. We have players from absolute beginner to high school / Tournament level.
We design our camps to teach the technical basics and love of the game to the beginning player, to introduce strategical decision making, and more advanced technique to the intermediate player, while building on their current stroke production, and to put the advanced players into pressured, strategical and competitive situations.
Q. What is the ratio of campers to staff?
Groups are divided into small instructional groups of approximately Five to Six: One (5.5:1) camper to coach. Some camps/sessions offer higher or lower ratios based on the curriculum.
Q. If the camp is full, do you have a waiting list?
We do have a waiting list for our camp weeks that sell out. It is not unusual for us to add campers from the waiting list due to late cancellations. To be added to the waitlist, please email the office.
Q. Should I purchase camp/cancellation insurance?
We recommend all families purchase camp/cancellation insurance if they are concerned about their investment in the camp. Kids do get injured, sick and family plans change prior to the start of camp. Camp insurance allows peace of mind and has many benefits in any of these events. Please review our policies page for more information about camp/cancellation insurance. Click Here
Airport transportation is available upon request for those flying into camp. The closest airport is the Columbus, OH (CMH) Airport (8 miles from campus). To arrange for a pickup, please email before making flight arrangements.
Pertinent Camp Information for Check-in
Forms / Balance Due
Camp Waiver (required):
Your Liability Waiver was signed during the registration process and is complete as long as your registered online.
Medical Form (required):
Each camper must have a completed medical form filled out, signed and brought to the camp check-in on the 1st day of camp. This form downloaded, printed and brought to camp the first day – Download Form here
* A physical exam is not required for campers. If the camper needs medical or disability accommodations, including significant food allergies that require special meals, please email the office. Click Here to Email Office
To check and see if you have a balance due – please login in to your account Here
Check-In / Check-Out Information
Check-in / Drop off:
- Check-in / Drop off Time: 8:45am on the first day; 9:00am remainder of the week
- Check-in / Drop off Location: Hilliard Darby High School
- Check-in / Drop off Address: 4200 Leppert Rd Hilliard, OH 43026
Check-out / Pick up:
- Check-out / Pick up Time: 4:00pm daily for Full Day Campers / 12:00pm daily for half day campers
- Check-out / Pick up Location: Whiteman Tennis Center
- Check-out / Pick up Address : 800 E 6th St Tempe, AZ 85281
- No meals provided. Full day campers should pack a lunch daily
- Tennis Racket
- Tennis Shoes
- Sun Screen
- Hat / Visor
- Water bottle
- Snack (if desired)
MEET YOUR COACHES
Marc Wurtzman –
Long time college coach Marc Wurtzman heads the Columbus camp in 2021. Coach Wurtzman was previously the head coach at Capital University and had extremely successful coaching stops at Ohio State University, University of Wisconsin, and Kenyon College.
Wurtzman is a 1998 graduate from The Ohio State University, where he was a four-year letterman for the Buckeyes. Upon graduation, he ranked inside the top-20 in career singles wins (68) and currently ranks 27th on that list. As a senior, Wurtzman was named team captain and was OSU’s top-flight singles player.
Following his graduation, he spent one year playing professionally. His most notable win while on tour was against Fernando Gonzales, previously a top-10 player in the world.
The coaching staff of the Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp in Columbus, OH is one of the strongest and most well respected in the country. Consisting of top collegiate coach-es and players, the staff is handpicked for their ability to teach and relate to young players in a friendly, thorough and responsible manner.
Parent of Jett G.
– Parent of Leo G.
– – Parent of Lola S.
– – Parent of Nicholas G.
– – Parent of Demi S
– Parent of Alex B.
– Parent of Anri S.
– Parent of Nathan D