THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH FLORIDA
Day Camp with Full and Half Day Options
At the University of North Florida tennis camp, we break the campers into small instructional groups of similar age and ability so each child is working in a group that is commensurate with their experience level. It is here where we tailor each program to the level of the players. Beginners would get a heavier dose of swing technique and fundamentals, while more advanced players would have more focus on strategy, point building and percentage tennis etc.
Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camps are the premier camps for young players who strive to learn the game, improve their skills and/or participate in middle school, high school, USTA team tennis or tournaments.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE
- 5.5-6 hours of tennis daily
- Comprehensive instructional program with daily teaching progressions
- Small instructional groups to ensure individual attention
- Camp Demo program with the latest Wilson rackets
- Safety prioritized
- Great Wilson Giveaways and prizes for all campers
Univ. of North Florida
1 UNF Dr,
Jacksonville, FL 32224
- This camp sells out each session. Please register early to ensure involvement.
– Session I: June 3-7, 2019
– Session II: June 10-14, 2019
- – Full Day – $455 per week
- – Half Day – $330 per week
Our traditional tennis camps (non match-play or college prep) are designed to focus on the fundamentals and swing techniques of the modern tennis strokes. Some of the areas of focus for each level include:
– Beginners: The beginning level player will be introduced to the basics of the game. Emphasis will be placed on stroke production and the technical aspects of the swing in an effort to teach these young players sound fundamentals from the ground up.
– Intermediate: Intermediate level players will also focus on fundamental stroke production (to ensure proper technique), but will also be in put into game play situations to introduce these players to the competitive side of the game.
– Advanced: The more advanced players will work with stroke production in a competitive environment, but will also be introduced to the basic strategies of the game.
– High School / Tournament: Varsity high school and tournament players will focus on the strategic and competitive aspects of the game. Although there will be attention spent on the stroke fundamentals, more emphasis will be placed on point progression, court positioning, patterns and sequences, percentage plays and live ball drill work.
- Full Day Option:
- – Mon – Fri 8:30am – 3:30pm
- Half Day Option:
- – Mon – Fri 8:30am – 12:00pm
- – Full Day Campers – Lunch included each day
- – Half Day Campers – No meals included
- – All campers will check-in each morning between 8:15am – 8:30am at the tennis courts
- – Sessions I & II: Full Day Campers: Check out will be every day at 3:30pm
- – Sessions I & II: Half Day Campers: Check out will be every day at 12:00pm
– All our camp forms, including the required liability form and medical form can be found HERE
Airport transportation is available upon request for those flying into camp. The closest airport is the Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) 25 minutes from campus. To arrange for a pickup, please email prior to making flight arrangements.
The balance for each week of camp is due the first day of the month of the camp session. That is, all June camps have a balance due date of June 1st and all July camps have a balance due date of July 1st.
Your camp balance can be paid online HERE or a check can be mailed to Premier Sports Camps, 4885 Shackelford Ct. Columbus, OH 43220.
– Pay Balance
– Fill out Camp Waiver
– Print out and complete Medical Form
– Review Pertinent Information Email
– Review FAQ’s on this page
– Review Packing List
– Tennis Shoes
– Sun Screen
– Hat / Visor
– Water bottle
– Snack (if desired)
Per NCAA rules, our sports camps are open to all entrants. Enrollment is limited only by age, grade level, gender, and capacity restrictions as specified by each camp.
MEET YOUR COACHES
Head Men’s Tennis Coach
The University of North Florida
Matt Lucas was named the head men’s tennis coach at UNF in August of 2017. Lucas brings over 10 years of coaching experience to UNF having coached at all levels of competitive tennis during his career.
Lucas came to the Ospreys after serving as the associate head coach for the University at Buffalo men’s tennis team in 2016-17. The Bulls claimed the MAC regular season and tournament titles last year and advanced to the NCAA Tournament while producing five All-MAC players.
Prior to his season at Buffalo, Lucas worked one year as the Head Tennis Professional at The Palencia Club in St. Augustine, Fla. (2015-16) Before serving in the head pro position, Lucas spent a season as a traveling coach on the ITF Pro Circuit where he coached and traveled with Alex Valenstein. He helped guide her to Texas Tech University, where she became a singles and doubles starter on a Top-10 team.
Lucas previously coached in the college ranks in 2014 when he was a volunteer assistant coach at Wake Forest University for one season. While at Wake Forest, Lucas helped the Demon Deacons reach #13 in the ITA National rankings while also helping three players earn All-ACC recognition.
Prior to Wake Forest, Lucas spent three seasons at South Carolina as an assistant coach helping turn the Gamecocks into a Top 25 team. Lucas was named the ITA Carolina Region Assistant Coach of the Year for his success at South Carolina and helped sign the No. 3 recruiting class in the nation in 2011.
The coaching staff of the Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp at the UNF Tennis camp is one of the strongest and most well respected. Consisting of top collegiate coaches and players, the staff is handpicked for their ability to teach and relate to young players in a friendly, thorough and re-sponsible manner.
The following schedules are sample schedules of our camps. These are provided to give a rough idea of how each camp is programmed throughout the day.
DAILY SCHEDULE: (Tentative Sample)
8:15 – 8:30 am
8:30 – 10:00 a.m
Morning tennis instruction / drills – I
10:00 – 10:10 a.m
Water break – tennis talk
10:10 – 12:00 pm
Morning tennis instruction / drills – II
Half Day Camper pick up
12:00 – 12:45 p.m
12:45 – 3:30 pm
Match play and sports activities such as zip line pool or Olympic sports