WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY – Wichita, KS
4.9 Stars – Based on 8 User Reviews
Day Camp with Half Day option
Come train with us at the Wilson Collegiate Tennis camp at Wichita State University in beautiful Wichita, KS. Offering 4 weeks of incredible fun and tennis training, our camp is directed by WSU Coaches Danny Bryan and Colin Foster. Offering both full and half-day camper options, the WSU Tennis Camp has the perfect combination for everyone!
Throughout the week each camper receives personal attention, advanced teaching techniques, intensive drill work and game/match play daily. Campers are broken into small instructional groups with those of similar age, ability, and experience so each child is working in a group that is commensurate with their experience level. We tailor each program to the level of the players.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE
- Comprehensive instructional program with daily teaching progressions
- Small instructional groups to ensure individual attention
- Safety prioritized on and off court
- Camp demo program with all the latest Wilson rackets
- Great Wilson Raffle and prizes for all campers
- Session I: June 1-5, 2020 – Canceled
- Session II: June 15-19, 2020 – Canceled
- Session III: July 27-31, 2020
- Session VI: August 3-7, 2020
- Full Day: $375 per week
- Half Day: $245 per week
- Boys and Girls ages 7-18 of all skill levels.
- Camps are open to any and all..
Our traditional tennis camps are designed to focus on the fundamentals and swing techniques of modern tennis strokes. We tailor the instruction to the skill level and experience of each level of player. Some of the areas of focus for each level include:
- Beginners: The beginning level player will be introduced to the basics of the game. Emphasis will be placed on stroke production and the technical aspects of the swing to teach these young players sound fundamentals from the ground up.
- Intermediate: Intermediate level players will also focus on fundamental stroke production (to ensure proper technique), but will also be input into gameplay situations to introduce these players to the competitive side of the game.
- Advanced: The more advanced players will work with stroke production in a competitive environment, but will also be introduced to the basic strategies of the game.
- High School / Tournament: Varsity high school and tournament players will focus on the strategic and competitive aspects of the game. Although there will be attention spent on the stroke fundamentals, more emphasis will be placed on point progression, court positioning, patterns and sequences, percentage plays and live ball drill work.
Note: A skills evaluation is done on the first day of camp and we will assign students to small instructional groups with kids of similar age, ability and experience level. Players will continue to be evaluated throughout the week and coaches will move kids into situations to push them and help ensure they are in a comfortable learning environment.
Full Day Option:
- – 9:00am – 3:30pm daily
Half Day Option:
- – 9:00 am to Noon daily
- Full Day campers should pack their own lunch daily (subject to change due to Covid19)
Camp will be held rain or shine each day. Unfortunately, we do not have indoor courts on campus and in the event of inclement weather we will have to adjust accordingly. In the event of poor weather, we will supplement the tennis with fitness and footwork drills, video tennis analysis, mental coaching or social activities such as bowling. Please be assured we will do everything in our power to ensure maximum outdoor tennis throughout the week and will make every effort to communicate with the families on those days of bad weather.
Q: Are there Skill Requirements for this camp?
Per NCAA rules, our sports camps are open to all entrants. Enrollment is limited only by age, grade level, gender, and capacity restrictions as specified by each camp.
Q: What type of campers attend this camp?
Our camps are open to all levels of tennis players. We have players from absolute beginner to high school / Tournament level.
We design our camps to teach the technical basics and love of the game to the beginning player, to introduce strategical decision making, and more advanced technique to the intermediate player, while building on their current stroke production, and to put the advanced players into pressured, strategical and competitive situations.
Q. What is the ratio of campers to staff?
Groups will be divided into small instructional groups of approximately 5-6: 1 camper to coach. Some camps/sessions offer higher or lower ratios based on the curriculum.
Q. If the camp is full, do you have a waiting list?
We do have a waiting list for our camp weeks that sell out. It is not unusual for us to add campers from the waiting list due to late cancellations. To be added to the waitlist, please email the office.
Q. Should I purchase camp/cancellation insurance?
We recommend all families purchase camp/cancellation insurance if they are concerned about the investment they are making in the camp. Kids do get injured, sick and family plans change from the time of registration leading up to the camp. Camp insurance allows peace of mind and has many benefits in any of these events. Please review our policies page for more information about camp/cancellation insurance. Click Here
Airport transportation is available upon request for those flying into camp. The airport you should arrive into is Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport (formerly Wichita Mid-Continent Airport). To arrange for a pickup, please email prior to making flight arrangements.
More Info / UTR
None at this time.
- Please arrive by 8:45 AM on Monday for initial Check-In
- Full Day campers: Check-in is 9:00am daily
- Half Day campers: Check-in is 9:00am daily
- Full Day campers: Check-out is at 3:30pm daily
- Half Day campers: Check-out is at 12:00pm daily
- Face Covering Mandatory in 2020
- Tennis Racket
- Tennis Shoes
- Sun Screen
- Hat / Visor
- Water bottle
- Snack (if desired)
MEET YOUR COACHES
Head Men’s Tennis Coach
Wichita State University
A former All-American and professional tennis player turned highly-regarded assistant coach, Danny Bryan will look to continue his progression as head coach at Wichita State.
Bryan took charge of the Shocker men’s tennis program on June 24, 2016 after 13 seasons at LSU — four of them as a player (2003-07), one as a student-assistant (2007-08), and the past eight as the Tigers’ full-time assistant coach (2008-16) under Jeff Brown.
In eight seasons on the LSU staff, Bryan – the 2013 Southern Region Assistant Coach of the Year — worked with 10 ITA All-Americans, 14 All-SEC performers, and one SEC Player of the Year.
Head Women’s Tennis Coach
Wichita State University
The 2016-17 season marks Colin Foster’s eighth as head women’s tennis coach at Wichita State. He was awarded a five-year contract extension in May of 2016 after a record-breaking sea-son that saw the Shockers rank as high as 13th nationally on their way to a school-record tying 27 dual wins.
Under Foster’s leadership, the Shockers have been a Missouri Valley Conference juggernaut, sweeping the conference regular season and tournament championships in each of his first seven seasons. Since Foster’s arrival in August of 2009, WSU is a perfect 48-0 in MVC regular season matches and is 68-0 overall against Valley competition.
Great experience, learned a lot, had fun, great facilities!
Parent of Ryan N.
It was a great experience for my son. He learned alot and everyone was so nice and gave excellent instruction.
Parent of Jack S.
Coaches made all the difference. They are great at working with the kids Adjusted well to encourage play at all levels.
Parent of David B.
Great camp. Coaches are excellent.
Parent of Taylor G.
This was my daughters first camp at age 15. She learned a lot, and she loved the instructors. It topped it off on last day when. She won most improved player and won a nice bag! We will be back. Thanks again!
Parent of Ashlyn N.
Sam loves tennis and has the opportunity to play for hours at the camp. The coaches and facilities are wonderful. Thank you for a great three sessions.
Parent of Sam R.
Good individual coaching and improvement plan.
Parent of Aden S.
This was our daughter’s first lesson in tennis and what a way to be introduced to the tennis world! From the moment our daughter met the coaches and staff they were all very encouraging and she learned so much! There was also a wonderful group of campers at the facility that week as well. Not only did they teach great lessons in tennis about technique and form but about sportsmanship as well. She will be able to take all that she learned and build from them. She is excited to continue tennis and attend camp again next year!
Parent of Isadora C.