WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY
Day camp with Half Day Option
We break the campers into small instructional groups of similar age and ability so each child is working in a group that is commensurate with their experience level. We tailor each program to the level of the players. Beginners would get a heavier dose of swing technique and fundamentals, while more advanced players would have more focus on strategy, point building and percentage tennis etc.
Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camps are the premier camps for young players who strive to learn the game, improve their skills and/or participate in middle school, high school, USTA team tennis or tournaments.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE
- Camp demo program with all the latest Wilson rackets.
- Raffle and prizes for all campers
- Comprehensive instructional program with daily teaching progressions
- Small instructional groups to ensure individual attention
- 5.5-6 hours of tennis each day
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount St,
Wichita, KS 67260
- No notes available at this time
– Session I: June 3-7, 2019
– Session II: June 17-24, 2019
- – Full day – $365 per week
- – Half day – $235 per week
Our traditional tennis camps (non match-play or college prep) are designed to focus on the fundamentals and swing techniques of the modern tennis strokes. Some of the areas of focus for each level include:
– Beginners: The beginning level player will be introduced to the basics of the game. Emphasis will be placed on stroke production and the technical aspects of the swing in an effort to teach these young players sound fundamentals from the ground up.
– Intermediate: Intermediate level players will also focus on fundamental stroke production (to ensure proper technique), but will also be in put into game play situations to introduce these players to the competitive side of the game.
– Advanced: The more advanced players will work with stroke production in a competitive environment, but will also be introduced to the basic strategies of the game.
– High School / Tournament: Varsity high school and tournament players will focus on the strategic and competitive aspects of the game. Although there will be attention spent on the stroke fundamentals, more emphasis will be placed on point progression, court positioning, patterns and sequences, percentage plays and live ball drill work.
- Full Day Option:
- 9:00 am – 3:30 pm Monday – Thursday
- – 9:00 am – Noon Friday
- Half Day Option:
- – 9:00 am to Noon daily
- – Full Day Campers should pack their lunch Monday-Wednesday and Friday, on Thursday we will have a Pizza Party and provide pizza for all campers.
- – Half Day Campers: No lunch is provided, half day campers may join in on the Pizza Party on Thursday.
- Check-in is between 8:45 am – 9:00 am each day
- Check-out for full day campers is at 3:30 pm each day
- Check-out for half day campers is at 12:00 pm each day
– All our camp forms, including the required liability form and medical form can be found HERE
Airport transportation is available upon request for those flying into camp. The airport you should arrive into is Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport (formerly Wichita Mid-Continent Airport). To arrange for a pickup, please email prior to making flight arrangements.
– Pay Balance
– Fill out Camp Waiver
– Print out and complete Medical Form
– Review Pertinent Information Email
– Review FAQ’s on this page
– Review Packing List
– Tennis Shoes
– Water Bottle
– Tennis Clothes
– Casual Clothes
– Bath Towel
– Shower Towel
– Sun Screen
– Bedding (check pert info email for bed size)
– Snack Food
– Spending Money (no $ is needed, but sometimes kids like to order pizza, t-shirts, vending etc.)
– Tennis Shoes
– Sun Screen
– Hat / Visor
– Water bottle
– Snack (if desired)
The balance for each week of camp is due the first day of the month of the camp session. That is, all June camps have a balance due date of June 1st and all July camps have a balance due date of July 1st. Your camp balance can be paid online or a check can be mailed to Premier Sports Camps, 4885 Shackelford Ct. Columbus, OH 43220.
Per NCAA rules, our sports camps are open to all entrants. Enrollment is limited only by age, grade level, gender, and capacity restrictions as specified by each camp.
MEET YOUR COACHES
Head Men’s Tennis Coach
Wichita State University
A former All-American and professional tennis player turned highly-regarded assistant coach, Danny Bryan will look to continue his progression as head coach at Wichita State.
Bryan took charge of the Shocker men’s tennis program on June 24, 2016 after 13 seasons at LSU — four of them as a player (2003-07), one as a student-assistant (2007-08), and the past eight as the Tigers’ full-time assistant coach (2008-16) under Jeff Brown.
In eight seasons on the LSU staff, Bryan – the 2013 Southern Region Assistant Coach of the Year — worked with 10 ITA All-Americans, 14 All-SEC performers, and one SEC Player of the Year.
Head Women’s Tennis Coach
Wichita State University
The 2016-17 season marks Colin Foster’s eighth as head women’s tennis coach at Wichita State. He was awarded a five-year contract extension in May of 2016 after a record-breaking sea-son that saw the Shockers rank as high as 13th nationally on their way to a school-record tying 27 dual wins.
Under Foster’s leadership, the Shockers have been a Missouri Valley Conference juggernaut, sweeping the conference regular season and tournament championships in each of his first seven seasons. Since Foster’s arrival in August of 2009, WSU is a perfect 48-0 in MVC regular season matches and is 68-0 overall against Valley competition.
Foster’s Shockers have also fared well on the national stage, ending the year with national rank-ings in each of the past three seasons while building up a string of eight-straight NCAA Tourna-ment bids.
A Purdue graduate and three-year assistant at TCU, Foster has compiled a seven-year mark of 138-53, and his .723 career winning percentage is the highest in program history. Over that span, WSU has piled up 43 all-conference selections, 26 individual conference titles (20 singles and six doubles), 37 MVC Player of the Week awards and 19 MVC Scholar-Athletes.
The coaching staff of the Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp at Wichita State is one of the strongest and most well respected in the country. Consisting of top collegiate coaches and players, the staff is handpicked for their ability to teach and relate to young players in a friendly, thorough and responsible manner.
Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex – Home to Shocker Tennis
A longtime dream finally came true for the WSU tennis program in September, 1993. Wichita State University’s men’s and women’s tennis teams moved into their new home, the $1 million Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex on the south side of the Wichita State campus.
Made possible by a gift from the Coleman family in memory of Sheldon Sr., the complex features eight lighted tennis courts with spectator seating and a 2,500-square-foot-clubhouse which houses offices for Men’s Head Coach Danny Bryan and Women’s Head Coach Colin Foster and locker rooms for both teams, a lobby, foyer, snack bar, public restrooms and a covered patio area.
The complex is located at the site of the six original tennis courts which stood next to Henrion Hall just east of the 17th Street and Hillside intersection since the eary 1900’s.
Courts were renovated in 2010 at a cost of $100,000, which included removing old asphalt. The courts were then resurfaced in the summer of 2014.
The facility received a facelift during the summer of 2001. The courts were resurfaced by Southwest Recreational, Inc. New director style chairs were purchased for spectator comfort, and a public address system was installed to assist in tournament play, and allow for music during pre-match warmups.
When Fairmount College (now WSU) played one of the first evening college football games west of the MIssissippi River on the field just north of 17th Street, Coleman lanterns provided light for the historic event. Now the Coleman family is once again lighting up that area of campus in the form of the Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex.