KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY – Manhattan, KS
5 Stars – Based on 3 User Reviews
Day Camp with Half Day option
Back for a third summer of fun, The Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp is returning to Kansas State University for the summer of 2022. After two extremely successful seasons, Director and Head Women’s Tennis Coach Jordan Smith has many new and exciting things in store. Open to boys and girls ages 7-18 of all skill levels, this tennis camp will offer young players an opportunity to get more involved with playing tennis.
Each camper receives personal attention, advanced teaching techniques, intensive drill work, and game/match play, all in a fun and competitive environment. We break the campers into small instructional groups of similar age and ability, so each child is working in a group that is commensurate with their experience level. We tailor each program to the level of the players. Beginners get a heavy dose of swing technique and fundamentals, while more advanced players focus on strategy, point building, percentage tennis, etc.
The Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camps are the premier camps for young players who strive to learn the game, improve their skills and participate in middle school, high school, USTA team tennis, or tournaments.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE:
- Comprehensive instructional program with daily teaching progressions
- Small instructional groups to ensure individual attention
- Safety prioritized on and off court
- Camp demo program with all the latest Wilson rackets
- Great Wilson Raffle and prizes for all campers
- Session I: June 6-10, 2022
- Session II: June 20-24, 2022
- Full Day Option – $395 per week
- Half Day Option – $265 per week
- Full Day Option: 9:00am – 3:30pm daily
- Half Day Option: 9am – 12:00pm daily
- Boys and Girls ages 7-18 of all skill levels.
- Camps open to any and all.
Camp Types: Traditional Tennis Camps
Our traditional tennis camps are designed to focus on the fundamentals and swing techniques of modern tennis strokes. We tailor the instruction to the skill level and experience of each level of player. Some of the areas of focus for each level include:
- Beginners: The beginning-level player will be introduced to the basics of the game. Emphasis will be placed on stroke production and the technical aspects of the swing to teach these young players sound fundamentals from the ground up.
- Intermediate: Intermediate-level players will also focus on stroke production (to ensure proper technique) and be introduced to gameplay situations to introduce these players to the competitive side of the game.
- High School / Tournament: High school (both varsity and JV) and tournament players will focus on the strategic and competitive aspects of the game. Although swing fundamentals are featured, emphasis will also feature point building, court positioning, patterns of play, and live ball drill work.
Note: A skills evaluation is done on the first day of camp, and we will assign students to small instructional groups with kids of similar age, ability, and experience levels. Players will continue to be evaluated throughout the week, and coaches will move kids into situations to push them and help ensure they are in a comfortable learning environment.
- Full Day: Campers should pack their lunch Monday – Thursday. There will be a Pizza Party on Friday for all campers.
- Half Day: Campers may stay for a Pizza Party on Friday.
Please be assured we will do everything in our power to ensure maximum outdoor tennis throughout the week and will make every effort to communicate with the families in the case of inclement weather.
Q: Are there Skill Requirements for this camp?
Per NCAA rules, our sports camps are open to all entrants. Enrollment is limited only by age, grade level, gender, and capacity restrictions as specified by each camp.
Q: What type of campers attend this camp?
Our camps are open to all levels of tennis players. We have players from absolute beginner to high school / Tournament level.
We design our camps to teach the technical basics and love of the game to the beginning player, to introduce strategical decision making, and more advanced technique to the intermediate player, while building on their current stroke production, and to put the advanced players into pressured, strategical and competitive situations.
Q. What is the ratio of campers to staff?
Groups will be divided into small instructional groups of approximately 5-6: 1 camper to coach. Some camps/sessions offer higher or lower ratios based on the curriculum.
Q. If the camp is full, do you have a waiting list?
To be added to the waitlist, please register here (there is no fee to join the waitlist).
Q. Should I purchase camp/cancellation insurance?
We recommend all families purchase camp/cancellation insurance if they are concerned about the investment they are making in the camp. Kids do get injured, sick and family plans change from the time of registration leading up to the camp. Camp insurance allows peace of mind and has many benefits in any of these events. Please review our policies page for more information about camp/cancellation insurance. Click Here
Airport transportation may be available upon request for those flying into camp.
Pertinent Camp Information for Check-in
Forms / Balance Due
Camp Waiver (required):
Your Liability Waiver was signed during the registration process and is complete as long as your registered online.
Medical Form (required):
Each camper must have a completed and signed medical form brought to check-in on the first day of camp. – Download Form here
A physical exam is not required for campers. If the camper needs medical or disability accommodations, including significant food allergies that require special meals, please email the office.
To check if you have a remaining balance, you can access your account here.
Check-In / Check-Out Information
Check-in / Drop off:
- Check-in / Drop off Time: 8:45-9am daily
- Check-in / Drop off Location: Mike Goss Tennis Stadium
- Check-in / Drop off Address: 1831 Olympic Street Manhattan, KS 66502
Check-out / Pick up:
- Check-out / Pick up Time: 3:30pm daily for Full Day Campers / 12:00pm daily for half day campers
- Check-out / Pick up Location: Mike Goss Tennis Stadium
- Check-out / Pick up Address : 1831 Olympic Street Manhattan, KS 66502
- Lunch provided for all campers on Friday only. Full Day campers please pack a lunch monday-thursday
- Tennis Racket
- Tennis Shoes
- Sun Screen
- Hat / Visor
- Water bottle
- Snack (if desired)
MEET YOUR COACHES
Women’s Tennis Coach
Kansas State University
Jordan Smith, who has been a part of the K-State women’s tennis program since 2015, was named the seventh head tennis coach in program history by K-State director of athletics Gene Taylor on July 2, 2018.
Smith just completed his third season at K-State, serving as assistant coach for two seasons before being promoted to associate head coach in January 2018. He replaces Danielle Steinberg, who was introduced as the head coach of Colorado on June 12 after four years at K-State. Smith had been serving as interim head coach following Steinberg’s departure.
Smith has helped the Wildcats rise to new heights and garner national recognition, as the program has risen each year under his watch. 2018 saw the Cats reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2003, reaching the Round of 32 after they defeated No. 26 Kentucky, 4-3.
Fun camp, good instructors.
Parent of Miles T.
Camp was fantastic! Kids had a blast and learned a lot! Will be back next year!
Parent of Abby H.
I had a great time at the tennis camp. I liked the drills and working with the coaches. I made lots of friends here.
Parent of Josh W.
MIKE GOSS TENNIS STADIUM
Kansas State dedicated the new Mike Goss Tennis Stadium on September 7, 2013, recognizing and honoring Goss for his generous gifts and support of K-State Athletics and Kansas State University. The stadium features six outdoor courts, with purple playing surfaces and Powercats dividing the courts. The courts also feature a Musco lighting system, steel benches with K-State welded into the back rests and metal bleachers on the south side of the court with room to accommodate 400 fans.