THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
Iowa City, IA
Day camp with Half Day options
Each camper receives personal attention, advanced teaching techniques, intensive drill work and game / match play, all in a fun and competitive environment.
We break the campers into small instructional groups of similar age and ability so each child is working in a group that is commensurate with their experience level. We tailor each program to the level of the players. Beginners would get a heavier dose of swing technique and fundamentals, while more advanced players would have more focus on strategy, point building and percentage tennis etc.
Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camps are the premier camps for young players who strive to learn the game, improve their skills and/or participate in middle school, high school, USTA team tennis or tournaments.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE
- 5.5-6 hours of tennis daily
- Comprehensive instructional program with daily teaching progressions
- Small instructional groups to ensure individual attention
- Safety prioritized on and off the court
- Camp demo program featuring all the latest Wilson rackets
- Great Wilson Raffle and prizes for all campers
- Camp T-shirt for all campers
No notes at this time
THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
2820 Prairie Meadow Dr
Iowa City, IA 52242
United States of America
SHARE THIS CAMP
Session I: TBA
- Full Day – TBA
- Half Day – TBA
Our traditional tennis camps (non match-play or college prep) are designed to focus on the fundamentals and swing techniques of the modern tennis strokes. Some of the areas of focus for each level include:
- Beginners: The beginning level player will be introduced to the basics of the game. Emphasis will be placed on stroke production and the technical aspects of the swing in an effort to teach these young players sound fundamentals from the ground up.
- Intermediate: Intermediate level players will also focus on fundamental stroke production (to ensure proper technique), but will also be in put into game play situations to introduce these players to the competitive side of the game.
- Advanced: The more advanced players will work with stroke production in a competitive environment, but will also be introduced to the basic strategies of the game.
- High School / Tournament: Varsity high school and tournament players will focus on the strategic and competitive aspects of the game. Although there will be attention spent on the stroke fundamentals, more emphasis will be placed on point progression, court positioning, patterns and sequences, percentage plays and live ball drill work.
- Full Day Option:
- - Mon-Fri: 9am – 3pm
- Half Day Option:
- - Mon-Fri: 9am – Noon
- No meals provided for Full or Half Day campers
- Check-in is between 8:45 am – 9:00 am daily for all campers
- Check-Out for Full day campers is at 3pm daily
- Check-Out for Half day campers is at 12pm daily
Airport transportation is available upon request for those flying into camp. The closest airport(s) are the Iowa City Airport (3 miles), Eastern Iowa Airport (23 miles) or the Quad City International Airport (65 miles). To arrange for a pickup, please email prior to making flight arrangements.
The balance for each week of camp is due the first day of the month of the camp session. That is, all June camps have a balance due date of June 1st and all July camps have a balance due date of July 1st.
Your camp balance can be paid online HERE or a check can be mailed to Premier Sports Camps, 4885 Shackelford Ct. Columbus, OH 43220.
- Pay Balance
- Fill out Camp Waiver
- Print out and complete Medical Form
- Review Pertinent Information Email
- Review FAQ’s on this page
- Review Packing List
– Tennis Shoes
– Sun Screen
– Hat / Visor
– Water bottle
– Snack (if desired)
Per NCAA rules, our sports camps are open to all entrants. Enrollment is limited only by age, grade level, gender, and capacity restrictions as specified by each camp.
MEET YOUR COACHES
HEAD MEN’S TENNIS COACH
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
Ross Wilson, a former two-time NCAA All-American and three-time ITA national doubles champion at Ohio State, enters his second season as head coach and third year with the University of Iowa men’s tennis program.
In his first season as head coach, Wilson guided the Hawkeyes to both team and individual success. Wilson guided and molded a lineup that comprised mostly of four freshmen to a ranking as high as 45th nationally — its highest ranking ever since the ITA expanded their rankings. Iowa amassed more wins than the previous 23 seasons, including two wins over ranked opponents and five against Big Ten competition, which are the most wins over league competition in five years.
Wilson began his Iowa coaching career in the fall of 2013 as an assistant coach. In his first season with the Hawkeyes Wilson made an immediate impact, helping the program secure a pair of five-star recruits in Silverstein and Jacoby.
Wilson, the 2012 ITA National Assistant Coach of the Year and ITA Central Region Assis-tant Coach of the Year, came to Iowa after serving as assistant coach at nationally-ranked San Diego during the 2012-13 season.
The coaching staff of the Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp at the University of Iowa is one of the strongest and most well respected in the country. Consisting of top collegiate coaches and players, the staff is handpicked for their ability to teach and relate to young players in a friendly, thorough and responsible manner.
The following schedules are sample schedules of our camps. These are provided to give a rough idea of how each camp is programmed throughout the day.
TRADITIONAL WEEKS – DAILY SCHEDULE:
8:45 a.m – 9:00 a.m
Camp Check In
9:00 a.m – 9:15 a.m
Introduce Camp staff and go over rules, sportsmanship, etiquette and safety, Camp Warmup
9:15 a.m – 11:00 a.m
Morning tennis instruction/ drills
11:00 a.m – 11:15 a.m
Break – tennis talk
11:15 a.m – 12:00 p.m
Tennis instruction/ drills – ll
Pick up for half day campers
12:00 p.m – 1:00 p.m
Lunch break, rest, recreational activities
1:00 p.m – 3:00 p.m
Match Play/ Skills testing, Olympics and Competition sessions
Pick up for full day campers