THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA – Iowa City, IA
4.9 Stars – Based on 8 User Reviews
Day Camp with Half Day option
One of the most popular tennis camps in Iowa, the Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp at the University of Iowa offers 1 week of incredible fun and tennis training. Under the guidance of Head Men’s Tennis Coach Ross Wilson, this camp features full and half-day camp options.
Each camper receives personal attention, advanced teaching techniques, intensive drill work, and game/match play daily. Campers are broken into small instructional groups with those of similar age., ability and experience so each child is working in a group that is commensurate with their experience level. We tailor each program to the level of the players. Beginners would get a heavier dose of swing technique and fundamentals, while more advanced players would have more focus on strategy, point building, and percentage tennis, etc.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE
- Comprehensive instructional program with daily teaching progressions
- Small instructional groups to ensure individual attention
- Safety prioritized on and off court
- Camp demo program with all the latest Wilson rackets
- Great Wilson Raffle and prizes for all campers
- Session I: June 15-19, 2020
- Full Day: $445 per week
- Half Day: $295 per week
- Boys and Girls ages 7-18 of all skill levels. Camp is open to any and all.
Our traditional tennis camps are designed to focus on the fundamentals and swing techniques of modern tennis strokes. We tailor the instruction to the skill level and experience of each level of player. Some of the areas of focus for each level include:
- Beginners: The beginning level player will be introduced to the basics of the game. Emphasis will be placed on stroke production and the technical aspects of the swing to teach these young players sound fundamentals from the ground up.
- Intermediate: Intermediate level players will also focus on fundamental stroke production (to ensure proper technique), but will also be input into gameplay situations to introduce these players to the competitive side of the game.
- Advanced: The more advanced players will work with stroke production in a competitive environment, but will also be introduced to the basic strategies of the game.
- High School / Tournament: Varsity high school and tournament players will focus on the strategic and competitive aspects of the game. Although there will be attention spent on the stroke fundamentals, more emphasis will be placed on point progression, court positioning, patterns and sequences, percentage plays and live ball drill work.
Note: A skills evaluation is done on the first day of camp and we will assign students to small instructional groups with kids of similar age, ability and experience level. Players will continue to be evaluated throughout the week and coaches will move kids into situations to push them and help ensure they are in a comfortable learning environment.
- Full Day Option: 9am – 3pm daily
- Half Day Option: 9am – Noon daily
No meals provided for Full or Half Day campers. Full day campers should pack a lunch daily.
In the case of inclement weather, we have indoor back up courts everyday during camp. These 8 indoor courts are located directly next to our 12 outdoor courts and are equipped with PlaySight technology.
Please be assured we will do everything in our power to ensure maximum outdoor tennis throughout the week and will make every effort to communicate with the families on those days of poor weather.
Q: Are there Skill Requirements for this camp?
Per NCAA rules, our sports camps are open to all entrants. Enrollment is limited only by age, grade level, gender, and capacity restrictions as specified by each camp.
Q: What type of campers attend this camp?
Our camps are open to all levels of tennis players. We have players from absolute beginner to high school / Tournament level.
We design our camps to teach the technical basics and love of the game to the beginning player, to introduce strategical decision making, and more advanced technique to the intermediate player, while building on their current stroke production, and to put the advanced players into pressured, strategical and competitive situations.
Q. What is the ratio of campers to staff?
Groups will be divided into small instructional groups of approximately 5-6: 1 camper to coach. Some camps/sessions offer higher or lower ratios based on the curriculum.
Q. If the camp is full, do you have a waiting list?
We do have a waiting list for our camp weeks that sell out. It is not unusual for us to add campers from the waiting list due to late cancellations. To be added to the waitlist, please email the office.
Q. Should I purchase camp/cancellation insurance?
We recommend all families purchase camp/cancellation insurance if they are concerned about the investment they are making in the camp. Kids do get injured, sick and family plans change from the time of registration leading up to the camp. Camp insurance allows peace of mind and has many benefits in any of these events. Please review our policies page for more information about camp/cancellation insurance. Click Here
More Info / UTR
None at this time.
- Full Day campers: Check-in is daily at 9am
- Half Day campers: Check-in is daily at 9am
- Full Day campers: Check out is daily at 3:00pm
- Half Day campers: Check out is daily at 12:00pm
- Tennis Racket
- Tennis Shoes
- Sun Screen
- Hat / Visor
- Water bottle
- Snack (if desired)
MEET YOUR COACHES
HEAD MEN’S TENNIS COACH
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
During his five years as Iowa’s head coach, Wilson has coached three All-Big Ten honorees, Matt Hagan (2015), Josh Silverstein (2017) and Kareem Allaf (2019), and a number of student-athletes into the program’s top wins lists. Eight of Wilson’s student-athletes rank in the top-15 in single-season doubles wins, including five that are in the top-15 in career doubles victories. Four of his student-athletes rank in top-15 in both career singles wins and single-season.
Wilson was a standout at national power Ohio State from 2002-06. He was a two-time NCAA All-American and three-time ITA national doubles champion. Wilson broke the Buckeyes’ overall career wins record, career doubles wins record and single season doubles wins record in 2006. He was part of the only doubles tandem in the history of college tennis to ever win back-to-back ITA National Indoor titles (2005 and 2006) and was part of the No. 1 ranked doubles team in the nation those seasons.
The coaching staff of the Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp at the University of Iowa is one of the strongest and most well respected in the country. Consisting of top collegiate coach-es and players, the staff is handpicked for their ability to teach and relate to young players in a friendly, thorough and responsible manner.
Parent of Ryan K
Parent of Dylan C.
Parent of Ishan H.
Parent of Ginger K
Parent of Gabi G.
Parent of Cash H.
Parent of Michael H.
Parent of Benjamin L.
HAWKEYE TENNIS & RECREATION CENTER
The HTRC houses eight indoor and twelve outdoor tennis courts, 6,000 square feet of fitness space, two indoor turf fields, locker rooms and the Outdoor Rental Center. The outdoor courts are named the Klotz Tennis courts, named after former Men’s Tennis Coach, Don Klotz. The HTRC is also the home of the University of Iowa Men’s and Women’s Tennis, Women’s Soccer, Women’s Field Hockey, and Hawkeye Marching Band.