MCKENDREE UNIVERSITY – Lebanon, IL
Day Camp with Half Day option
Brand new in 2020, The Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camps are coming to St. Louis. The Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camps McKendree University Camp is directed by McKendree Head Men’s & Women’s Tennis Coach Todd Tucker and is in partnership with the St. Clair Tennis Club (home of the McKendree Bearcats tennis program).
Throughout the week each camper receives personal attention, advanced teaching techniques, intensive drill work and game/match play daily. Campers are broken into small instructional groups with those of similar age., ability and experience so each child is working in a group that is commensurate with their experience level. We tailor each program to the level of the players.
We tailor each program to the level of the players. Beginners would get a heavier dose of swing technique and fundamentals, while more advanced players would have more focus on strategy, point building, and percentage tennis, etc.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CAMP INCLUDE
- Comprehensive instructional program with daily teaching progressions
- Small instructional groups to ensure individual attention
- Safety prioritized on and off court
- Camp demo program with all the latest Wilson rackets
- Great Wilson Raffle and prizes for all campers
- Session I : July 27-31, 2020
- Session II: August 3-7, 2020
- Full Day: $450
- Half Day: $295
- Boys and Girls ages 7-18 of all skill levels
Our traditional tennis camps are designed to focus on the fundamentals and swing techniques of modern tennis strokes. We tailor the instruction to the skill level and experience of each level of player. Some of the areas of focus for each level include:
- Beginners: The beginning level player will be introduced to the basics of the game. Emphasis will be placed on stroke production and the technical aspects of the swing to teach these young players sound fundamentals from the ground up.
- Intermediate: Intermediate level players will also focus on fundamental stroke production (to ensure proper technique), but will also be input into gameplay situations to introduce these players to the competitive side of the game.
- Advanced: The more advanced players will work with stroke production in a competitive environment, but will also be introduced to the basic strategies of the game.
- High School / Tournament: Varsity high school and tournament players will focus on the strategic and competitive aspects of the game. Although there will be attention spent on the stroke fundamentals, more emphasis will be placed on point progression, court positioning, patterns and sequences, percentage plays and live ball drill work.
- • Note: A skills evaluation is done on the first day of camp and we will assign students to small instructional groups with kids of similar age, ability and experience level. Players will continue to be evaluated throughout the week and coaches will move kids into situations to push them and help ensure they are in a comfortable learning environment.
Full Day Option:
Half Day Option:
- No meals provided for Full or Half Day campers
Q: Are there Skill Requirements for this camp?
Per NCAA rules, our sports camps are open to all entrants. Enrollment is limited only by age, grade level, gender, and capacity restrictions as specified by each camp.
Q: What type of campers attend this camp?*
Our camps are open to any and all levels of tennis players. We have players from absolute beginner to High School / Tournament level.
We design our camps to teach the technical basics and love of the game to the beginning player, to introduce strategical decision making, and more advanced technique to the intermediate player, while building on their current stroke production, and to put the advanced players into pressured, strategical and competitive situations.
Q. What is the ratio of campers to staff?
Groups will be divided into small instructional groups of approximately 5-6: 1 campers to one coach. Some camps / sessions offer higher or lower ratios based on curriculum.
Q. If the camp is the full, do you have a waiting list?
We recommend all families purchase camp/cancellation insurance if they are concerned about the investment they are making in the camp. Kids do get injured, sick and family plans change from the time of registration leading up to the camp. Camp insurance allows peace of mind and has many benefits in any of these events. Please review our policies page for more information about camp/cancellation insurance. Click Here
Q. Should I purchase camp/cancellation insurance?
We recommend all families purchase camp / cancellation insurance if they are concerned about the investment they are making in the camp. Kids do get injured, sick and family plans change from the time of registration leading up to the camp. Camp insurance allows peace of mind and has many benefits in any of these events. Please review our policies page for more information about camp/cancellation insurance. Click Here
Airport transportation may be available upon request for those flying into camp. The closest airport is the St. Louis Lambert International Airport (29 miles) from the camp site. To arrange for a pickup, please email prior to making flight arrangements.
More Info / UTR
None at this time.
- Full Day campers: TBA
- Half Day campers: TBA
- Full Day campers: TBA
- Half Day campers: TBA
All our camp forms, including the required liability form and medical form can be found HERE
- Tennis Racket
- Tennis Shoes
- Sun Screen
- Hat / Visor
- Water bottle
- Snack (if desired)
MEET YOUR COACHES
Head Men’s & Women’s Head Coach
Todd Tucker joined the McKendree University athletics staff in June 2019 as the head coach for the Bearcat men’s and women’s tennis programs.
Tucker came to McKendree after spending two years in the same role at Salem University in West Virginia. There, Tucker engineered a turnaround of both Tigers’ programs that saw the women’s squad improve by 17 wins during his tenure, while the men’s team bettered its record by nine wins in the same span.
At Salem, Tucker took a women’s team that had just one victory in his first season and helped lead the Tigers to a 19-3 mark this year. Salem put together a 16-match win streak during the season and collected its first-ever NCAA Tournament victory. Under his guidance, the Tigers made school history by reaching the semifinals of the NCAA Division II Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Tournament in both singles and doubles.
The coaching staff of the Wilson Collegiate Tennis Camp at McKendree University is one of the strongest and most well respected in the country. Consisting of top collegiate coach-es and players, the staff is handpicked for their ability to teach and relate to young players in a friendly, thorough and responsible manner.
ST. CLAIR TENNIS CLUB
St Clair Tennis is a family-owned and operated tennis facility located on Hartman Lane in O’Fallon IL. It has been owned by the Brunner family since August, 2007. There are 6 indoor courts that are used by members, friends, and local high school and college teams.